Saturday, April 18, 2009

More things twitter, tools and tips

Twitter has been around for a few years now and yet it seems to be taking off like a wild fire only now. Why that is, well to quote the poet "I am not know" ;) what I can tell you is that just from the reaction I have heard and seen it ask become obvious to me that most people see twitter as nothing more than a simple stay in touch tool. I say this from a poll I took from close friends and family members, please don't think I mean the greater populus.

But there is so much you can do with twitter. So much to do and so little time.

Having said that I am going to do a few things over the next few weeks. I am going to write an in depth article every three or four days on certain twitter things. If I repeat one or two please forgive me, after all I am doing this for you guys, my loyal twitter friends and even those of you who follow my blog via the hidden option....I know a few do ;)

Here we go.

Make your twitter profile stand out (above the rest)....I haven't done this myself but I have too much on the go at the moment.

To get started go to your Twitter home page and click on settings at the top.

First and foremost, if you have a web site or blog make sure you set the ‘More Info URL’. This link appears in your profile page and is a do-follow link. Because of Twitter's on going popularity it is seen as good quality and serves as a high quality backlink for you in the BIG G. (Google)

Now we move on to your One Line Bio. You only have 160 characters so make them count, write it as often as you want until it jumps at you, if you love it so will we!

Lastly you can set your Location. I want to know what part of the world you live in.

A final not here is the Protect my Updates section. This just means you grant permission to see who views and who doesn't

A picture says a thousand words. True enough but personally I always advise people to use their own pic. It adds a sense of humanity. For the most part if I see someone I want to follow and the pic is not of them I debate it. I have my reasons.....this is your personal call.

A lot of people argue the avatar, again I don't like it much but it will help you stand out from the rest of the crowd.

If you have profiles on similar sites like Facebook, StumbleUpon to name a few it is a very good idea to use the same pic. Not only does this keep you looking better, it's a hell of a good branding tool since people will become familiar with your face and it helps to build up trust online.

And the final tip for today's episode is TwitterTimer, this is a great tool as it will send you reminders. I love it.

Okay, long article...whew I need a coffee.

See you all in a day or so.

Cheers
Garret

No comments:

Post a Comment