Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A couple of twitter tricks


Here is some useful information for those of use still uncomfortable with twitter.


I recently was asked to share some tips on how to get around in Twitter. So here are a few of them, baby steps folks ... baby steps

Cool Trick Number 1: Tweader

The more followers you get and the more conversations you have, it can almost become impossible to keep up with all of it. That is the beauty of Tweader, simply type in the url number of your tweet and it shows you the whole thread of conversation connected to that Tweet.

Side note: It took a few minutes to figure out how to get the url number, so here are the steps. Click on the time stamp of the tweet, ex. "Less than 5 seconds ago." When you do, it will open up a cool picture of a Tweet. Then look at the web address line and you'll see the url number at the end.

Cool Trick Number 2: Tweetdeck

I have alot of people I follow, I have seen people with ALOT more. However I am interested in the communities I do follow and what they are saying. I actually have a back up n my pc of all of my follower's and who I am following in specific groups so I don't lose anyone accidentally. Tweetdeck is my way to catch up what my Tweeps are saying. I set up several groups based on communities and watch for my replies there too. It really is useful.

Side note: It even catches some of the @replies that Twitter doesn't see. Especially when your name is mentioned in a list of several @'s.

Cool Trick Number 3: Budurl and Tweetburner

Ever wonder if anyone is really listening to you? Shorten your links with either of these tools and you can track how many people opened them. Cool, isn't it! Budurl is great because it will show you how many people are opening them in real time (10 second delay). Tweetburner is cool because you can see what the hottest links of the moment are on it as well. This is especially handy for business folk trying to track customer interest. It can be used as testing.

Side note: Using these tools, you'll get better at writing headlines that will pull traffic to your links because you can see how well you're doing.

Cool Trick Number 3: TweetGrid and Search.Twitter

Ever wonder what everyone is saying about certain topic(s) at the moment? These cool search sites will do the trick. Search.Twitter is the Twitter engine behind Election2008. TweetGrid allows you to track multiple topics in one window. Very helpful indeed.

Side note: Incredibly handy tools to find people when Twitter's people search is down or see who is responding to a particular topic or question posed by a rockstar Tweeter.

Cool Trick Number 4: TweetBeep

This is awesome, pure and simple. This wonderful add-on I call it will take the information you can find in TweetGrid and Search.Twitter and wrap it all up in a nice little email delivered to you hourly or daily. Very handy for keeping up with topics, products and companies you are following.

Side note: No more daily searches. These programs do the thinking for you!

Cool Trick Number 5: TweatLater

I find this one of my favorite and most useful tools for the twitter atmosphere. It tweet's messages I schedule in advance. It's great because sometimes I will send out a series or follow-ups, pardon the twit-pun.

A couple of other twitter tricks;

SnagIt: Be sure to make your own profile on your twitter home page. If you don't have a fancy dancy graphics program, not a problem? use SnagIt to make any jpg. SnagIt is an amazingly inexpensive tool, considering how powerful it is. You won't know how you lived without it.

Qwitter: Want to find out when people stop following you? Qwitter emails you when people drop you. Not for the person with easily hurt feelings, however!

Pingfm : Use it to broadcast your Tweets across all your social media with one click.

And finally another new discovery could end up in my top 5 list: FriendorFollow. Type in your name and find out who is not following you back.

11/16/08: Yet another new discovery: http://spy.appspot.com/ -- real time tracking of conversations on Twitter and beyond.

Follow me here

No comments:

Post a Comment